- 3 zucchinis
- 2 yellow squash
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup pancetta, diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- handful of fresh herbs for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut the zucchini and squash crosswise in thin slices. Try to get them about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place them in a large bowl and toss with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
- Line the zucchini across a baking dish so they are standing up.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are tender and browned on the top.
- While the zucchini is baking, sauté the chopped onion in a tablespoon of avocado oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes .
- Add the garlic and pancetta and continue to cook for another 3 – 5 minutes until the onions are golden brown and smelling amazing. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk and arrowroot starch.
- Add the Gruyere and continue to whisk until it’s smooth.
- Sprinkle the onion and pancetta mixture over top the zucchini.
- Then, pour the cheese mixture on top.
- Bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Top with fresh herbs (optional).
Serving: Calories 231; Fat 14.2g (Sat 6.9g); Protein 15g; Carb 13.5g (net carb 9.7g); Fiber 3.8g; Sodium 294mg