- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 16 oz. sausage, cut in rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2.5 cups water
- 15 oz. (1 can) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz. (1 can) fire roasted peppers or tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add butternut squash, onion, and sausage, stirring often.
- Cook until onion begins to soften and things begin to brown, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, salt, and water.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and peppers and keep at a simmer until slightly reduced.
- Top with shredded cheddar, avocado, sour cream, and/or cilantro!
Per serving: Calories 417; Fat 27.3g (Sat 7.7g); Protein 20.4g; Carb 24.8g (net carbs 18.4g); Fiber 6.4g; Sodium 943mg
© The Toasted Pine Nut