Make these Sweet Potato Rice Stuffed Peppers for dinner or for a delicious addition to your weekly meal prep! It’s a yummy vegetarian & gluten free recipe!
Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 avocado
- handful cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt (any plain yogurt works)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water, if needed
- 4 red bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 large Japanese sweet potatoes, washed
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salsa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the avocado, cilantro, avocado oil, garlic, yogurt, lime juice, and sea salt in your food processor.
- Process until it’s smooth and combined, about 15 seconds.
- Stream in the water, if needed, to thin out the sauce.
- Transfer to a bowl or cup with a spout and set aside.
- Clean out the food processor, you’ll use this later for your sweet potato rice.
- Slice the peppers in half, scoop out the seeds and rinse them.
- Place the peppers on a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and use your hands to coat the peppers in oil.
- Turn them flat side down and roast in the over for 15 minutes until softened.
- While the peppers are roasting, spiralize the sweet potatoes on the smallest noodle setting.
- Then, place half of the noodles into the food processor with the blade and pulse until they are chopped up and smaller than rice consistency. Mine ended up being couscous consistency.
- Work in batches – transfer the “rice” to a bowl and continue until all the noodles are made into rice.
- Heat the last two tablespoons of avocado oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Transfer the sweet potato rice and chopped onion to the pan.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and broth to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes until the rice is softened and there is no more liquid in the pan.
- When the peppers are done roasting (after 15 minutes they’ll be softened but still with a raw crunch, if you prefer a softer pepper shell, roast them for another 15 minutes).
- Plate the pepper shells (about 2 per person) and fill them with the sweet potato rice mixture. Top with crumbled cotija, chopped cilantro, and a drizzle of the avocado cilantro sauce.
- Serve with salsa and enjoy!
Keywords: stuffed peppers, stuffed bell peppers, stuffed pepper recipe, stuffed peppers with rice, stuffed peppers sweet potato rice, stuffed peppers spiralized sweet potato rice, stuffed pepper shells, stuffed red pepper shells, roasted red pepper stuffed shells, pepper shell tacos, spiralizer, spiralizer recipes, spiralized potatoes, spiralized sweet potato, spiralized sweet potato rice, sweet potato rice, vetegarian taco, gluten free taco, meal prep, meal prep ideas, meal prep for weight loss, meal prep dinner, meal prep dinner recipe, meal prep lunch, meal prep lunch recipe, healthy meal prep