I love making this simple Spicy Peanut Tofu Broccoli + Squash Bowl for an easy vegetarian weeknight meal! Delicious gluten free and low carb recipe!
- 2 broccoli stalks
- 1 small acorn squash
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 5 tablespoons ghee (butter or favorite cooking oil works), ghee
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (any nut or seed butter works)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 lime, cut in wedges
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- cilantro for garnish
- Prep your veggies. Cut the broccoli is small-medium florets and set aside. Cut the acorn squash into thin slices, and then cut into fourths or 2 inch pieces.
- Cut the tofu into long rectangles and place on a clean, thin dishtowel. Fold the dishtowel overtop the tofu and gently press to absorb some of the moisture out of the tofu.
- Stack the tofu rectangles and cut them into 1/2 inch squares.
- Melt 2 tablespoons ghee in a large pan and place the broccoli and squash into the pan.
- Sauté for 10 minutes until the broccoli starts to get golden brown.
- Add the tofu to the pan along with 2 more tablespoons of ghee and 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Continue to sauté, tossing occasionally until the tofu turns golden brown and crisps up a bit on the outside. Note: not all sides will be perfectly golden brown. Typically I get 2 – 3 sides of the tofu cube to be golden brown.
- In a separate pan, sauté the cauliflower rice stirring frequently with 1 tablespoon ghee for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic and salt. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, sesame oil, peanut butter, agave nectar, and hot sauce.
- Once the tofu is golden brown, pour the sauce and pecans into the tofu pan and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 – 5 minutes until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Scoop the cauliflower rice into the bowls.
- Top with a few scoops of the tofu mixture. Squeeze a lime wedge and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.