This Slow Cooker Jackfruit Stew + Celery Root Mash is the perfect hearty, cozy, comforting crock pot recipe to curl up with on a chilly day.
- 3 20 oz. cans of green young jackfruit, in water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 1/4 cup chopped carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- 1 1/4 cup chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
- 1 can (13 oz) unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour (aka arrowroot starch)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (omit to make vegan)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
Celery Root Mash:
- 3 medium celery roots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Once rinsed, look at the triangle fan-shaped pieces of the jackfruit. The fan part is the part of the jackfruit that will easily shred. Cut the point of the fan off and discard.
- Place the trimmed jackfruit in a large bowl along with the avocado oil, sesame oil, ginger powder, garlic powder, sea salt, onion powder, and pepper.
- Toss until the jackfruit is coated.
- Spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with avocado oil.
- Add the jackfruit to the crock pot along with the chopped onion, chopped carrot, chopped celery, coconut cream, coconut sugar, tamari (or soy sauce), arrowroot flour (arrowroot starch), fish sauce, and hot sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- When there are about two hours left, use a fork to press the jackfruit pieces against the side of the crockpot to shred it.
- Cover and continue to cook.
- With about 30 minutes left of cooking, cut the top off the celery root and use a vegetable peeler to peel off the outer skin.
- Cut the celery root into about 1 inch pieces and place in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for another three minutes.
- Add the broth to the pan and allow to simmer for five minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a food processor along with the sea salt.
- Process for about three minutes until smooth. Take breaks to scrape down the sides of the food processor and start again.
- Once smooth, place a couple dollops of mash into a bowl.
- Top with a couple scoops of the jackfruit stew and garnish with some fresh thyme sprigs.
Keywords: slow cooker, slow cooker recipes, slow cooker stew, slow cooker jackfruit stew, slow cooker vegetarian stew, slow cooker pulled jackfruit, crock pot, crockpot recipes, crockpot stew, crockpot pulled jackfruit, vegetarian, vegetarian recipes, vegetarian stew, vegetarian crockpot recipe, vegetarian slow cooker recipe, healthy crockpot recipes, healthy slow cooker recipes, vegan slow cooker recipes, vegan crockpot recipes, vegan stew, jackfruit pulled pork, jackfruit stew, vegan stew