These Sloppy Joe Bites are such a fun appetizer or easy weeknight meal! Ditch the bun and keep it low carb + gluten free with sweet potato tostadas!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Handful of basil, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Slice the sweet potato in ½ inch rounds.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a lined baking sheet and lay out the rounds in a single layer.
- Drizzle another tablespoon on top of the sweet potatoes and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, place the chopped peppers and onions in your pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes until they are reduced and golden brown.
- Add the ground beef and continue to cook, using a spatula to chop up the beef in small pieces.
- Once the beef is no longer pink, add the coconut sugar, ketchup. Worcestershire, garlic powder, mustard powder, and sea salt.
- Stir everything together and cook for another couple of minutes until the sauce is reduced a bit.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, transfer them to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Plate the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- Spoon the sloppy joe on top and sprinkle with chopped basil.
Serving: Calories 704; Fat 38.8g (Sat 13.4g); Protein 62.6g; Carb 21.6g (net carb 19g); Fiber 2.6g; Sodium 478mg