Cozy up with this Shredded BBQ Chicken + Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie! It’s the perfect gluten free dinner the whole family will love!
Shredded Chicken Base:
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks celery)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons bbq sauce
- fresh thyme for garnish
Sweet Potato Mash:
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Cook the chicken in your instant pot:
- Place 1 cup of chicken broth, water, and chicken into your instant pot.
- Press the meat button and cook for 10 minutes.
- Make sure the knob is set to sealing.
- Once the 10 minutes is over, you’ll switch the sealing knob to venting and allow all the steam to release.
Or, cook chicken on the stovetop:
- Bring the broth and water to a boil and add the chicken.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through.
How to make the shredded chicken filling:
- While the chicken is cooking, place the carrots, chopped onion, and celery in a large pan with the butter over medium-high heat.
- Sauté for 15 minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies reduce and are golden brown.
- Add the salt and garlic and sauté for 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, place it on a cutting board and pull it apart with two forks to shred it.
- Transfer the shredded chicken into the pan with the veggies.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, soy sauce, ketchup, and bbq sauce.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the sauce is incorporated into chicken/veg mixture.
- Transfer to a baking dish and spread across the bottom of a baking dish.
Make the sweet potato purée topping:
- Place a medium pot filled with water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the sweet potatoes. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato is easily pierced with a fork, strain the water out and transfer the sweet potatoes along with 3 tablespoons of butter, 2 cloves garlic, and sea salt into a food processor.
- Turn the processor on and allow it to process for a few minutes until the sweet potato is a smooth purée.
- Transfer the sweet potato mash on top of the chicken and spread it out with a rubber spatula.
- Optional: use a fork to make a cool design in the top.
- Broil on high for 2 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme and scoop onto plates or bowls and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 1195mg
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 19.7g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
Keywords: shepherd's pie, shepherd's pie recipe, shepherds pie recipe easy, shepherd's pie chicken, shepherd's pie chicken broth, shepherd's pie chicken breast, shepherd's pie with chicken and sweet potatoes, shredded chicken recipe, shredded chicken instant pot, shredded chicken shepherd's pie, sweet potatoes, sweet potato mash, sweet potato shepherd's pie