These sweet and tangy Shortbread Lemon Bars are your new favorite dessert to bring to your next potluck or barbecue! They’re light, fresh, gluten free, and packed with your favorite summer flavor!
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works too)
- splash of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- couple pinches of sea salt
- lemon layer:
- 1/3 cup agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works too)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (butter also works), melted or room temp
- 3 eggs + 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoon favorite powdered sugar (I linked to my favorite low calorie one in the post)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil (butter or ghee works too), agave nectar, and vanilla.
- Once combined, add the almond flour and sea salt.
- Whisk until completely combined.
- Line a square 9×9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the crust out across the bottom in an even layer.
- Bake for 13 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, whisk together the lemon filling.
- SUPER IMPORTANT!! The order that you add the ingredients will determine if the lemon layer looks good or looks terrible.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the agave nectar, ghee, eggs and egg yolk.
- Once combined, add the tapioca flour and whisk until combined.
- Next, slowly drizzle the lemon juice into the bowl while you’re whisking.
- You want the mixture to be smooth and not separate.
- Pour the mixture on top of the crust and bake for another 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes, pull it out of the oven and it to sit in the pan to bring it to room temperature.
- Once room temp, chill in the fridge for a few hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, slide a knife on any sides of the bars that are touching the pan.
- Pull the edges of the parchment paper up. and cut into bars.
- I sprinkled mine with some low calorie powdered sugar, but you can use regular powdered sugar if you wish!