These gluten free Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies are easy to prep ahead for a quick and delicious slice and bake cookie dessert!
- Place the butter in a medium bowl and melt it in the microwave for 30 seconds (you can also do this in a saucepan over medium-low heat).
- Once softened, whisk in the agave nectar and vanilla until combined.
- Add the blanched almond flour and salt to the bowl.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold everything together until combined.
- Chop the chocolate bars into chunks.
- Fold the chopped chocolate into the cookie dough.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil and use your hands to spread it into a log. I found it easiest to fold the aluminum foil over the dough and press it into a log.
- Tap the ends in to make it an even cookie dough log that doesn’t taper off at the ends.
- Fold the paper or foil around the dough and freeze overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and cut the log into 12 – 14 slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the edges and tops are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 15 – 20 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a finishing salt. This one is my absolute favorite to finish desserts and dishes with.
You can use chocolate chips or chunks in this recipe, but I love the look of the different shapes a chopped chocolate bar makes throughout the cookie because the chocolate is all different sizes sprinkled throughout.