Instead of buying cans upon cans of pureed pumpkin this autumn, learn How To Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree and keep a stash in your fridge.
- 2 2lb. sugar pumpkins (aka pie pumpkins)
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut your pumpkins in half lengthwise. Don’t try to cut right through the stem because it will be immensely difficult and you may lose a finger. Cut a little off center or on a slight diagonal to avoid the center stem. Or, cut off the stem first, then cut it in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and save them for later to season roast up!
- Lay the pumpkins flat-side (cut-side) down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 40 – 45 minutes. The time will change depending on the size of the pumpkin, but the skin will appear deeper orange and more wrinkly.
- Turn the pumpkins over, scoop out the center flesh into a food processor.
- Process for 1 minute until the flesh is smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 1 week.