The iconic Girl Scout Samoas are made gluten free and refined sugar free in this Homemade Samoa Cookies recipe! You won’t even notice the difference!
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (honey or maple syrup also works)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (or favorite milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 can (15 oz) unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- flaked sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the butter, agave, milk and vanilla.
- Add the almond flour and fold together until combined.
- Place the cookie dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll into a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Slide a cutting board under the bottom parchment paper and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, bring the coconut cream and coconut sugar to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Boil for 15 – 20 minutes stirring almost constantly until the caramel thickens up.
- Pour the caramel into a medium bowl.
- Place the coconut shreds on a pan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently for 5 – 7 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the coconut shreds to the bowl with the caramel.
- Mix together the coconut shreds and caramel and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge, peel off the top piece of parchment paper.
- Use a 2 inch circle cookie cutter or glass to cut out circle cookies.
- Use a small circular cutter to cut a center hole out. This isn’t mandatory but adds a more authentic samoa touch. You can use one of those metal icing bag tips or carve out a little hole using the back of a chopstick.
- Transfer the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Re-roll out the dough, chill, and cut out cookies as needed. Depending on the size of the cookie cutter, you’ll get 12 – 18 cookies.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the pan.
- Once the cookies are cool and the caramel/coconut mixture is chilled, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
- Dip the bottom of the cookies into the melted chocolate and place them back on the parchment paper.
- Once all the cookie bottoms are coated, pop the in the fridge for 5 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Then, use your hands to place the coconut/caramel mixture around the tops of the cookies.
- Drizzle the top of the caramel with stripes of chocolate and sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Chill in the fridge for 10 – 15 minutes until hardened.
- Store in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy!
Keywords: girl scout cookies, samoas, samoas cookie, gluten free samoas, grain free samoas, healthy samoas recipe, homemade samoas recipe, homemade samoas cookies