If you want to make falafel but don’t have chickpeas, you HAVE to make these Homemade Baked Falafel Balls! They’re nut based and made without chickpeas!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- avocado oil spray for spraying the falafel (or can brush with non-spray avocado oil)
- 4 wraps (I like these Mission low carb wraps – also see note below!)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (for toasting the wraps stovetop)
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced, cut in half moons
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted stovetop over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently
- 4 tablespoons harissa
Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- Place the almonds, hemp hearts, garlic, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and sea salt in your food processor.
- Process for 10 seconds until chopped up and mealy.
- Add the egg, coconut oil, and parsley.
- Process for another 10 seconds until combined.
- Chill the falafel batter in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a small cookie scooper, or two tablespoons, to scoop 12 dollops of the falafel batter onto the parchment paper.
- After all the falafel batter is used up, roll each ball in your hands to smooth it out and place it back on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the falafel are baking, make your lemon tahini dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tahini, juice from 1 lemon, agave nectar, and avocado oil. This will be a thick dressing. Right before you drizzle or pour it on top of the falafel wrap, whisk in 2 – 4 tablespoons of water to thin out the dressing.
- When the falafel is done baking, spray each ball with avocado oil spray and broil for 1-2 minutes until the tops are golden brown. If you don’t have avocado oil spray, you can just brush the tops of each ball with avocado oil.
- Prepare your wraps. Place 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, one by one place a wrap in the pan and toast/fry it for 3 minutes, flip and toast the other side for another 1 -2 minutes.
- Once the wraps are golden brown, toasted but not too crunchy, plate them.
- Place 1 tablespoon of hummus on the center of each wrap and spread it out.
- Add the arugula, sliced red onions, and 3-4 falafel on each wrap.
- Drizzle with the lemon tahini sauce.
- Add the toasted pine nuts and harissa, fold and enjoy!
My favorite wraps to use are Mission low carb wraps (not gluten free but perfectly fold-able and bendable) or Siete’s tortillas! Because wraps can vary depending which ones you use, I didn’t include them in the nutritional facts below, so keep that in mind!
Keywords: falafel, falafel recipe, falafel recipe baked, falafel recipe gluten free, falafel recipe without fava beans, falafel recipe without chickpeas, tahini, tahini sauce, tahini dressing, tahini sauce recipes, tahini salad dressing, lemon tahini, lemon tahini dressing, lemon tahini sauce, lemon tahini salad dressing, lemon tahini dressing vegan,