- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- avocado oil spray for spraying the falafel (or can brush with non-spray avocado oil)
- 4 wraps (I like these Mission low carb wraps – also see note below!)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (for toasting the wraps stovetop)
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced, cut in half moons
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted stovetop over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently
- 4 tablespoons harissa
Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- Place the almonds, hemp hearts, garlic, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and sea salt in your food processor.
- Process for 10 seconds until chopped up and mealy.
- Add the egg, coconut oil, and parsley.
- Process for another 10 seconds until combined.
- Chill the falafel batter in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a small cookie scooper, or two tablespoons, to scoop 12 dollops of the falafel batter onto the parchment paper.
- After all the falafel batter is used up, roll each ball in your hands to smooth it out and place it back on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the falafel are baking, make your lemon tahini dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tahini, juice from 1 lemon, agave nectar, and avocado oil. This will be a thick dressing. Right before you drizzle or pour it on top of the falafel wrap, whisk in 2 – 4 tablespoons of water to thin out the dressing.
- When the falafel is done baking, spray each ball with avocado oil spray and broil for 1-2 minutes until the tops are golden brown. If you don’t have avocado oil spray, you can just brush the tops of each ball with avocado oil.
- Prepare your wraps. Place 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, one by one place a wrap in the pan and toast/fry it for 3 minutes, flip and toast the other side for another 1 -2 minutes.
- Once the wraps are golden brown, toasted but not too crunchy, plate them.
- Place 1 tablespoon of hummus on the center of each wrap and spread it out.
- Add the arugula, sliced red onions, and 3-4 falafel on each wrap.
- Drizzle with the lemon tahini sauce.
- Add the toasted pine nuts and harissa, fold and enjoy!
My favorite wraps to use are Mission low carb wraps (not gluten free but perfectly fold-able and bendable) or Siete’s tortillas! Because wraps can vary depending which ones you use, I didn’t include them in the nutritional facts below, so keep that in mind!
© The Toasted Pine Nut