These INSANELY delicious Healthy Carmelitas will be a family favorite! They’re gluten free, paleo friendly, and vegan friendly! Can’t wait for you to try them!
- Nutty layer:
- 2 cups pecans (any mix of nuts or oats)
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- ¼ cup ghee (coconut oil or butter works)
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter (any nut butter is delish)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel Goodies:
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- splash vanilla
- couple pinches sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- First, make the crusty crumble.
- Put the pecans (any nuts should work), almond flour, and sea salt in the food processor.
- Process for about five seconds until chunky and combined.
- Add the almond butter, ghee, coconut sugar, and agave nectar.
- Process again until combined and sticky. They should form a dry ball when you press it in your hands.
- Line an 8×8 dish with parchment paper.
- Transfer half of the nutty mixture to the dish and press it into the bottom.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- While the bottom layer is baking, make your caramel!
- Place the can of coconut cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Once it starts boiling, add the coconut sugar.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat, whisking frequently until it starts to thicken up, about 15 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and sea salt and whisk until it’s thick and caramel consistency.
- Pour the caramel on top of the baked nutty layer.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Crumble the remaining nutty mixture on top of the caramel and chocolate chips.
- Gently press it down and bake for another 10 minutes.
- All the bars to cool COMPLETELY before cutting into them. If you cut into them too soon, it will be a sticky, crumbly mess (I’m guessing). I waited for my bars to come to room temp, then I lifted the parchment paper out from the dish and placed it on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Cut into 9 squares.
- Store in the fridge.
- Personally, I loved them chilled the next day because the caramel really had time to set. I’m thinking next time (If I’m patient enough) I’ll chill them in the fridge before I even cut into them.
Serving (1 bar): Calories 482; Fat 43.6g (Sat 16.5g); Protein 6.5g; Carb 23.4g (net carb 19.1g); Fiber 4.3g; Sodium 84mg