These gluten free and vegan Cranberry Quinoa Butternut Squash Boats are the perfect cozy vegetarian meal or side dish to make this fall.
- 2 small butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, washed and drained
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the stem off the butternut squash and then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle with avocado oil.
- Place the cut side of the butternut squash flat-side down.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, flip so the flat side is up and roast for another 10 minutes.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, place 1 1/2 cup of the broth and quinoa in a pot over high heat. Once the broth boils, cover and turn down the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa appears fluffy.
- Stir in the dried cranberries, pepitas, sunflower seeds, grated carrot, lemon juice, minced garlic, sage, cinnamon, and salt. Mix everything together and keep warm over low heat until the squash is done roasting.
- Once the boats are done, plate them and add a scoop of the quinoa mixture to the bell part of the squash. Garnish with additional squash leaves.