Love this low carb, gluten free, and paleo paella! Lighten up the traditional dish with sweet potato rice to add an extra serving of veggies and extra fun.
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chorizo sausages, cut in ¼” rounds
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 14 oz. diced fire roasted tomatoes
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- ½ lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ lb. mussels, rinsed
- ½ lb. clams, rinsed
- ½ lemon, cut in wedges
- Handful parsley, chopped for topping
- Place your coconut oil, onion, and garlic in your pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion turns golden brown and is translucent. This should take about 7 – 10 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, spiralize your sweet potato with the smallest noodle blade.
- Place the spiralized sweet potato in a food processor and pulse to chop the noodles up into rice. I did it in three batches so the rice didn’t turn to mush.
- Once the onions are browned, add the sausage and cook for another couple minutes.
- Add the sweet potato rice, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices.
- Keep the pan over medium-high heat and stir to combine and mix everything together.
- Nuzzle the shrimp, mussels, and clams into the rice mixture and continue to cook until the shrimp become pink and the mussels and clams open, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- If the mussels and clams don’t open, remove them from the pan and discard.
- Squeeze a couple lemon slices on top and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Discard any mussels and clams that are open when you buy them, they’ve gone bad.
Serving: Calories 432; Fat 17.8g (Sat 8.2g); Protein 30.1g; Carb 36.1g (net carb 31.6g); Fiber 4.5g; Sodium 1106mg