Chewy Strawberry Meringue Cookies are so fun to eat! They’re crisp on the outside, chewy in the middle and only four ingredients!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2/3 cup strawberry jam
- Optional: a few drops of red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 225F.
- Crack the eggs in half.
- Transfer the egg back and forth between to two half shells allowing the egg white to drip down into a bowl below you. Continue to pass the yolk back and forth between the shells until all the whites are in the bowl and the only thing left in the shell is a yolk. Save this yolk for another recipe or discard it.
- Use your electric mixer to whip the egg whites on high for a few minutes until you have soft peaks. You’ll know you have “soft peaks” when you lift your mixer and the egg white forms a small little mountain with a “peak” but then melt back down into itself fairly quickly.
- Place the agave nectar in a pot over medium-high heat and heat until it reaches a temperature of 240F. I used this digital candy thermometer to gauge the temp.
- Continue to whip the egg whites with your mixer and slowly pour the hot agave syrup into the egg whites. It will be super hot so be careful not to splatter.
- Continue to whip for about 5 minutes until you get firm peaks. Firm peaks are when you lift the electric mixer out of the bowl and egg white mountain peaks are stiff and upright and don’t fall back into themselves.
- Add the jam and food coloring if you’re using it and whip again for another minute until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the meringue into a piping bag or large ziploc bag. If using a ziploc bag, cut the corner off.
- Swirl quarter-sized mountain of meringue onto the baking sheet. You may need to work in batches.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Then, turn off the oven and allow the cookies to sit in the oven for 2 hours.
- Once they are at room temperature, peel them off from the parchment paper and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 26
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chewy meringue recipe, chewy meringue cookies, chewy meringue, meringue cookies without cream of tartar, meringue cookies no tartar,