Broccoli cheddar patties are deliciously cheesy, kid-friendly, and easy to make! They’re the perfect low carb & gluten free weeknight dinner!
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped really small
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour (optional)
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, for frying the patties
- 1 ripe avocado, smashed for topping
- handful cilantro
- Chop the broccoli in small-ish pieces, a bit smaller than your normal florets.
- Place the broccoli pieces in a large pan over medium heat with coconut oil. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes (mine took 7) until they just begin to brown.
- In a large bowl combine the cheeses, sea salt, and garlic powder.
- Add the broccoli and egg to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the arrowroot flour over the whole mixture and then mix it all up to be completely blended.
- Set aside for 15 minutes. This will help the mixture bind together.
- While your patty mixture is resting, smash your avocado.
- After the patty mixture has rested, wipe out your pan that you used to cook your broccoli. Add a couple more tablespoons of coconut oil for frying the patties. Turn it on medium high heat and allow the oil to get hot.
- With your hand, form a ball (a little smaller than a tennis ball) of the mixture.
- Place the ball in the oil for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then, use the back of the spatula to press it down gently. Cook for about 1 – 2 minutes, then gently flip. Cook the opposite side for another minute or two until golden brown.
- Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Top each patty with some avocado yumminess and cilantro for garnish!