The best restaurant style onion rings you’ll ever eat! The breading is low carb and gluten free! This is one of my favorite appetizer recipes!
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water + 2 tablespoons as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Onion Rings:
- 1 onion
- 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 cup cashew flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- First, place your cashews, lemon juice, garlic, water, chipotle pepper, and sea salt.
- Process until creamy, smooth, and delicious. If it needs a little help getting smooth, add additional tablespoons as needed.
- Slice your onion into 1/4″ – 1/2″ rings and gently separate the layers from one another.
- Grab three bowls.
- Place unsweetened almond milk in one bowl.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: cashew flour, arrowroot flour, dry mustard, and paprika.
- Divide the dry ingredients into two bowls. It tends to get clumpy as you coat the onions, so it’s best to keep it separate so you can freshen it up as needed.
- One at a time, dunk the onion rings into the almond milk, then coat it in the breading.
- To make the coating thick and restaurant style, dunk it again into the almond milk and coat again in the breading.
- Place the breaded onion rings on a baking sheet or plate and repeat until all the onions are breaded.
- Then, pour the sunflower oil into a pan until it’s about 1 inch up the side. Keep it over medium-high heat until the oil is hot.
- Place the onion rings into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- If your oil doesn’t cover the top of the onion, you may need to flip it halfway through.
- Gently remove the onions and place onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- I’m not sure if this is a “first pancake” kind of situation or if the oil wasn’t hot enough, but I did a tester with the first onion and the breading got messed up so I tossed it. The rest went perfectly, though 🙂
- Sprinkle with additional sea salt, if desired and enjoy!
Serving: Calories 274; Fat 20.4g (Sat 3.4g); Protein 7.9g; Carb 18.6g (net carb 15.4g); Fiber 3.2g; Sodium 176mg