- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter (for caramelizing the onions)
- 1 slicing tomato
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 8 leaves green leaf lettuce
- Special Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash hot sauce (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- dash liquid smoke (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, 1/2 of the onion (chop it), minced garlic, Parmesan, Worcestershire, ketchup, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Use your hands to combine all the ingredients and mix everything together.
- Form the meat mixture into patties. I made smaller slider patties (about 8) so they were easily wrap-able in the lettuce.
- Optional step: spray (or brush) each side of the hamburgers with oil or ghee.
- Heat your grill on high for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Then turn down the heat to medium and place the burgers on the grill.
- Grill each side for about 5 minutes, until they are easily flippable and don’t stick when you try to slide the spatula under.
- While you’re cooking the hamburgers, or waiting for the grill to heat up, slice the other half of the onion and place it in a pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon butter or oil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes to caramelize the onions.
- For the special sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, ketchup, garlic powder, hot sauce, and liquid smoke.
- Place a slice of tomato in the middle of the leaf, followed by some avocado, the burger, caramelized onion, and some special sauce.
- Fold up the sides and secure with a couple toothpicks.
- These are best and juiciest right off the grill, so enjoy immediately. OMG, salivating.
Serving (1 burger): Calories 424; Fat 21.5g (Sat 8.6g); Protein 47g; Carb 6.6g (net carb 5.2g); Fiber 1.4g; Sodium 224mg
© The Toasted Pine Nut