You’ll love these gluten free and paleo-friendly blackberry and lemon scones. They’re made with almond flour and are naturally sweetened!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted (ghee works too)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (heavy cream or almond milk also work)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon1 vanilla extract
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup blackberries, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, eggs, agave, and vanilla.
- Zest the peel of the lemon directly into the batter, only removing the yellow skin. Then, cut the lemon in half and juice it. Strain the juice and whisk it into the batter.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut shreds, sea salt, and baking power. I like to toast my coconut shreds beforehand in a skillet over medium high heat for a few minutes until they get fragrant and golden brown.
- Whisk everything together.
- Fold in most of the blackberries, reserving some to press into the tops. I found the blackberries were best if they were cut in half, but I had some giant blackberries.
- Put some arrowroot flour on a counter or surface and place the batter on top.
- Liberally sprinkle the scone batter with arrowroot starch and form a ball.
- Place the ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use a wet knife to cut the mound into 8 triangles.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Let the scones sit on the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the scones again into 8 triangles, following along the lines you made before baking.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 8.7g
- Sodium: 232mg
- Fat: 26.2g
- Saturated Fat: 15.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 73mg