These Beer Boiled Mussels are so flavorful and fun! Infuse the shellfish with your favorite beer for a light and summery recipe!
- 2 lbs. mussels
- 12 oz. pale ale beer (can also use chicken or vegetable broth)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 springs fresh rosemary, chopped
- Place mussels in a strainer in the sink and rinse them.
- If the mussels are open, tap them on the counter or a cutting board and see if they close. If they close, they are ok to use. If they stay open, discard them.
- Add beer, butter, and garlic to a pan over high heat, bringing the beer broth to a boil.
- Add the closed mussels and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mussels into a large serving bowl.
- Discard any mussels that do not open. I did this in about three batches.
- Once all the mussels are cooked, continue to cook the broth. Boil for an additional 3 minutes and pour the sauce over the mussels.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.