Today is my birthday dananananana happy birthday to me danananananana. To celebrate my birthday, I made a really chocolatey, delicious FOUR LAYER cake. Because that’s how I rollll.
Jaryd asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday and after throwing some ridiculous ideas back and forth (should we rent a sailboat and set off on a day long adventure 🤔 ), I realized all I really wanted to do was head to the beach with the boys, paddle board a bit, and finish the day with this cookie skillet. I’m simple. I don’t need anything fancy.
Why won’t I be finishing my day with this triple chocolate four layer birthday cake? Um, well. Three days ago I made this decadent tower of chocolate bliss so I could shoot the YouTube video and these pictures for y’all (jk I don’t say y’all but I kind of want to). And then I ate the whole damn thing. With help, of course. But it’s gone. And, as rich and fudgey and decadent as it was, I don’t know if I have it in me for round two in the same week.
It was like death by chocolate, grab yo milk, gulp, bite, savor repeat. You hear me. The thing with desserts and me, you see, is I cannot rest until they are completely gone. Done. Zero crumbs left behind. It’s a certain determination that some may find admirable. I absolutely cannot rest until the task (of eating the entire <insert any and every dessert I come across here>) is donezo.
Since this is my birthday WEEK, I started the week with this triple chocolate amazingness and am ending it with something else. A cookie skillet. Because, if that’s not a celebration, I don’t know what is.
If you guys are looking for a birthday cake that brings the fun, you NEED to to try this baby.
Watch me make this absolutely fun and tasty birthday cake, and grab the full printable recipe below!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (ghee or coconut oil should work!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (any milk)
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups heavy cream (use coconut cream for paleo)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works)
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 8 oz. dark chocolate bar (60%+ cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vanilla, coconut sugar, eggs, and milk. You can use a handheld mixture, handheld whisk, food processor, whatever works for you!
- Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Whisk everything together to combine.
- Line your cake pans with a circle of parchment paper.
- Spray the pans with coconut oil, or favorite cooking spray.
- Divide the batter between the pans. I had to do two batches because I only have two cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Use a butter knife to glide around the edges of the cake to help dislodge it from the pan.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the cakes are all cooked and cooled, place the heavy whipping cream in a bowl.
- Use an electric mixture to beat on high until the cream becomes a bit firm.
- Add the cocoa powder, agave nectar, and sea salt.
- Combine to whip on high until it becomes firm, like whip cream.
- Place one layer of the cake on your plate/cake stand.
- Smooth some of the whip cream icing on top. Add another layer and continue this sequence until you have four layers of cake and four layers of icing.
- Cut the chocolate bar into chunks and sprinkle it on top of the cake.
Enjoy!! Love you guys!! xo
Want to save this for later? Pin the image below!!