So, I asked you before the new year what recipes you wanted to see. Aaaand a handful of you said you wanted more easy breakfasts and my go-to smoothie combos! Since the new year is all about starting fresh, and I know a bunch of you will be turning over a healthier leaf, I thought it would be an awesome opportunity to share my all time, hands down, favorite green smoothie.
In my opinion, this is a no-fail recipe. There are only a few ingredients, even MY KIDS love this recipe. That’s saying something. But for real. You have kale which is high in fiber, high in iron, anti-inflammatory, great for cardiovascular support, great for aiding digestion, and has so many nutrients and vitamins. I could go on but obviously I want to get to the remaining ingredients 😉
Hemp hearts!! These little seeds of joy are one of my favorite health foods mainly because they can easily be thrown in and on top of things. Hemp hearts are the densest source of plant-baed protein and are an excellent source of iron, vitamin E and GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an Omega-6 fatty acid. I obviously don’t have an in depth concept of what that means, but it sounds really ridiculously good for you, no?
Alllll dat above healthiness with some bananas and peanut butter and you’ve got yourself a high fiber, high potassium, high protein smoothie to jumpstart your day. I love knowing that I start my day with a few leaves of kale. Eat it or drink it, it doesn’t matter HOW you get your greens in, just get them in!
So super duper easy recipe coming atchu rigggght meow. Drum roll puhlease… My friends, I present to YOU, the best green smoothie:
Place the frozen kale leaves (they can be fresh, mine were going bad so I froze them for smoothies), frozen bananas (these MUST be frozen), hemp hearts, peanut butter, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk in your blender and let that baby roll.
Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides, and blend. Continue this process until it is all combined and completely blended.
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 leaves kale, de-stemmed
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Place the kale leaves, frozen bananas, hemp hearts, peanut butter, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk in your blender and turn it on.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides, and blend.
- Continue this process until it is all combined and completely blended.
- Pour into a glass and top with your favorite granola, a peanut butter drizzle, more hemp hearts, whatever you want!
- Per smoothie: Calories 206; Fat 11.0g (Sat 1.6g); Protein 6.8g; Carb 19.9g (net carb 16.2g); Fiber 3.7g; Sodium 101mg
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase one of the products I linked to, I’ll receive a small portion of the sale. Thanks so much for supporting The Toasted Pine Nut! xo