Oook want to know a secret? Well, it’s not a secret. It’s something that I used to do… and it involves a nightly habit of one minute chocolate microwave mug cake.
So when Caleb was born, Jaryd was working nights. My nights involved watching the 2012 summer Olympics, nursing my newborn, and timing my nightly habit of microwave mug cake in between the baby feeding sessions.
It wasn’t the healthiest period of my life. It was more survival mode at that point and, in that all consuming newborn stage, that chocolate mug cake was a big component of my mental survival.
I had it down to a science. I didn’t use a mug, I used a bowl and pretended it was single serve. I undercooked it juuust the right amount. I savored every damn bite. No regrets.
I eventually got my act together and decided to stop eating these nightly mug cakes. I phased them out slowly, making them a weekly habit… then monthly.
Jaryd brought it up a few months back. He said something along the lines of, “What if you make a similar microwave mug cake, only with almond flour, and Pine Nut it.”
I like it. I especially liked the verb to Pine Nut. So, I decided to give it a whirl.
This is what I love about mug cakes. I mean, besides the obvious easy 1 minute cook in the microwave aspect. Mug cakes are my favorite thing to make as soon as I hear the lovely silence of sleeping kids. They’re still that happy indulgence that you don’t have to put too much effort into and you still get to indulge and enjoy and feel super decadent about it. Good for the soul, you know?
So let’s make some One Minute Chocolate Mug Cake for you and a friend 🙂
In a bowl, whisk together the melted butter (you can also use refined coconut oil or ghee), agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works), and egg + yolk.
Add the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide the cake batter in to two mugs. Microwave each mug for 1 minute.
TOTALLY optional but I made homemade whip cream to put on top. Whip the heavy whipping cream on high until it gets firm. Add the agave nectar and continue to whip until it turns to whip cream and has firm peaks.
Add a dollop of whip cream on top of each cooked mug cake and enjoy!!Print
This recipe for One Minute Chocolate Mug Cake will be a staple in your house!! It’s made with almond flour so it’s gluten free! It’s such a fun, delicious, and decadent dessert!
- Mug Cake:
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- couple pinches of sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Whip Cream Topping:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- In a bowl, whisk together the melted butter (you can also use refined coconut oil or ghee), agave nectar (honey or maple syrup works), and egg + yolk.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the cake batter in to two mugs.
- Microwave each mug for 1 minute.
- Optional: whip the heavy whipping cream on high until it just begins to get firm.
- Add the agave nectar and continue to whip until it turns to whip cream and has firm peaks.
- Add a dollop of whip cream on top of each cooked mug cake and enjoy!!
Want to save this for later? Pin the image below!!