Lemon poppy seed muffins were always one of my favorite go to treats. I mean that tangy, sweet lemon, that crunchy poppy, that moist middle… it screams delicious! I’m kind of a lover of all things lemon lately. Lemon in the morning, lemon in the evening, lemon at supper time… oh wait. No, that’s pizza bagels. Holds true for lemons, though.
I’m currently obsessed with lemon water and throw lemon on whatever I can! It’s a certain flavor that I find incredibly tasty and satisfying and refreshing.
In college, my go-to muffin was of the lemon poppy seed variety. Every morning I’d get a coffee (at that point I was flooding my coffee with cream AND sugar omg I can’t get over how gross that seems to me now). But, in reliving these glory days of muffins every morning, it got me thinking. What if I revive my old favorite in a fun new way. Chia seemed to be a perfect twist on traditional poppy seeds 🙂
Hope you guys love this recipe! I think it’s so light and refreshing and such a fun way to start your day!!Print
Delicious low carb + gluten free Lemon Chia Seed Muffins are such a fun twist on the traditional lemon poppy seed. You’ll love this take on an old favorite!
- 2 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup cashew flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together zest from 1 lemon, juice from two lemons (strained), eggs, and yogurt.
- Add the coconut sugar and whisk until combined.
- Add in the almond flour, cashew flour, sea salt, baking powder, and chia seeds.
- Whisk until completely combined.
- Scoop the batter into lined muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, whisk together the melted cocoa butter, agave nectar and zest from 1/2 a lemon.
- When the muffins are done baking, transfer to a cooling rack and drizzle with the glaze before eating.
- Serving Size: 9
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 288mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 41mg