Ok, so in my travels I found this subscription box called Mommy Mailbox. Basically they send you a box every month that is curated by a fellow mom and it contains adorable, useful, and delicious goodies. The fun part is, you get happy mail, and you never know what it will be. A few months back I got a three month subscription to give it a go. Well…
I loved it! Each box had items that I would never buy for myself, either because I had no clue it even existed, or because I felt like they were “wants” and not “needs” : adorable hair ties, a pearl necklace, a tumbler with a cute quote, bath bombs, a candle, a body mist, ah so much more. I really look forward to my subscription every month, excited to see what this month will bring. Oh! And each box contains a delicious treat. Can you see where I’m going with this?!
In one of the boxes was a bag of Dang coconut chips. If you’re ever in the food store, buy a bag of these. Like, hands down, don’t think twice, just do it. I’ve seen them in Whole Foods and they have a bunch of different flavors. I’ve tried the salted caramel and dang, it was good. Ha! The unsweetened bag peeked my interest because it is the lowest carb option and literally the only ingredients are coconut and sea salt. I love them.
Well, I can’t always run out to the store, so I tried my own version. I’m obsessed!!
One issue I have with eating low carb is snacking. Like, what even is there to snack on?! Besides nuts. These are the perfect little pick me up! You can grab them solo, or throw them on top of ice cream, a smoothie, or this! They have that yummy sweet and salty thing and you just. can’t. stop. As I was taking pictures, I would literally grab my little pinchers down for some every couple shots. So good, you guys!
This comes together maybe a litttttle too easy. Here’s what you do:
Place the coconut flakes in a bowl. With a damp paper towel, just moisten the chips a wee bit. Don’t drench them, don’t go crazy, just kind of drizzle the damp towel over the coconut flakes and then toss with your hands to make them all damp(ish).
Put the cinnamon and sea salt in the bowl and mix it all together. Then, spread them evenly across the lined baking pan.
Cooking is probably the most difficult part. My first batch of these, I over-toasted them. No good. No good at all!! Here’s what I did: 5 minutes, toss with a spatula, 5 minutes, toss with a spatula, 2 minutes, toss, 2 minutes toss. I kept my eyeballs on those puppies like whoa. I wanted that perfect crisp, crunchy, toasty, golden brown love, and boy oh boy, I got it.
Remove them from the oven but allow to cool on the baking pan. Once cool, transfer to a container or bowl for serving. These are best served at room temperature!
- 3 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (7 oz)
- 1 T. water
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place the coconut flakes in a bowl. With a damp paper towel (with about 1 T. water), moisten the chips. Drizzle the damp towel over the coconut flakes and then toss with your hands to make them all damp.
- Put the cinnamon and sea salt in the bowl and mix it all together using a spatula.
- Spread the flakes evenly across the lined baking pan.
- Place them in the oven for 5 minutes, toss with a spatula, bake for another 5 minutes, toss again. Bake for another 2 minutes, toss. One more time, 2 minutes and toss. (14 minutes total).
- Do not bake these for 14 minutes straight without checking on them. You must check on them!!
- Remove the flakes from the oven but allow to cool on the baking pan.
- Once cool, transfer to a container or dish for serving. These are best served at room temperature!
- Add these to your ice cream, yogurt, chocolate bark, smoothie, the possibilities are endless!!
What are your favorite low carb and gluten free snacks?! I give all inspiration credit to Dang Coconut Chips. If you ever come across them, buy them!! I’m dying to try the chocolate covered ones!! Eeek!! Let me know how you like these!! xo