True story. I watched the new Rob and Blac Chyna show. I know I know. Don’t judge me too hard. I just can’t resist pop culture. It’s one of my few windows to the outside world. The whole spectacle of it all is fascinating.
But like, do you think they’ll make it? So far I have to say that I feel bad for Rob!! The way she talks to him so crazy and kicking him out of the house in front of everyone?! I’m sure it’s a two way street, but what the heck! It’s so hot and cold. Don’t people want stability in their life?
Just me? I mean I am a Libra so I’m apparently all about dat balance.
Aaaannnd that’s my cue to move on.
You still like me, right? Even though I mentioned Rob and Blac Chyna? Wait wait wait let me restore your faith in me. Here goes…
I also really love to watch the presidential debates and am super psyched for them this fall. Ok, and as I typed that I’m wondering if maybe I just like to watch people butt heads and argue on tv. Interesting. I’m really revealing a lot about myself here. Self-discovery, really. I had no idea!
I struggle with breakfasts. Usually I sip my coffee and put off breakfast as long as I can because I don’t want to think about what I’m going to eat. My goal is to make easy breakfasts that are grab and go, super delicious, and completely versatile. I kinda randomly thought about these one day and literally ran into the kitchen to make them.
Funny how ideas just pop in, you know?
Spread some hummus on it!
So let’s make some Caramelized Onion and Pepper Muffins so you can be set for breakfasts and snacks for the week.
First, sauté the chopped onion and peppers in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until the onions are caramelized and browned.
When the peppers and onion are done, turn off the heat and add the tomatoes to the pan.
Fold in the peppers and onions until well combined.
Divide the batter into lined muffin tins. I definitely recommend lining your muffin tins. I went years refusing to line everything out of stubbornness, or pride, or stubbornness (wait…) and I can’t tell you how many baked goods I’ve ruined because I can’t get them out of the pan.
Allll about the lined everything.
Bake the muffins for 27 – 30 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.Print
Delicious Caramelized Onion + Pepper Muffins which are an amazing addition to any bread basket! These savory muffins are low carb, paleo, and gluten free!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2/3 cup ground flax seed meal
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sauté the chopped onion and peppers in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Sauté for about 10 minutes until the onions are nice and caramelized and browned.
- When the peppers and onion are done, turn off the heat and add the tomatoes to the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, agave nectar, water, and olive oil.
- Add the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Fold in the peppers and onions until well combined.
- Divide the batter into lined muffin tins.
- Bake the muffins for 27 – 30 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.
- Serve with hummus, olive oil and balsamic, avocado, an egg, the savory possibilities are endless!
Per muffin: Calories 195; Fat 16.1g (Sat 2.2g); Protein 6.5g; Carb 9.7g (net carb 6.4g); Fiber 3.3g; Sodium 192mg
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase a product from one of the links above, I’ll receive a small portion of the sale. Thanks so much for supporting The Toasted Pine Nut!! xo