Soooo I decided to add flowers to this picture buuuuut then got distracted by the pretty flowers and my dream bowl fell into the background. Don’t panic! I have tons of drool worthy pictures coming your way! I’m allowed to take some non-food pictures, right?!
I’ve decided that one of my favorite things is throwing a bunch of things into a bowl and making delicious combinations (e.g. here and here). I mean, I really like bowls that keep you interested, play with different flavors and textures, and are packed with healthy and nutritious goodies. My dream bowls are like a salad, only not at all and way better. You know? No? Err… nevermind.
This has so many delicious treats in it that just combine to one bowl of fabulosity! Yes, spell check, it is a word. The Halloumi cheese is an uncommon, delightful treasure that I don’t use too often. It has a salty taste and can be fried to a golden brown perfection. I totally cut up my halloumi with my fork as I ate so I could have a little taste with each bite.
Each individual element of this bowl brings something special to the table (kind of like people, oh so symbolic!): pine nuts add a toasty crunch, butternut squash brings a sweet flavor, the avo leaves a creamy finish and the hemp seeds add a nice kick of protein! Oh, and the spinach makes you feel really awesome about yourself. Well, I mean, it has a lot of nutritional benefits, but mainly it makes you feel like a rock star.
Here’s how you make it:
Peel and cut the butternut squash in half-ish. I cut off the bell bottom, saved it for later, and just used the upper portion. Remove any seeds.
Cut the butternut squash into pieces about 1/2 inch to 1 inch long.
Saute the butternut squash in olive oil over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. When they are done, place them on a plate lined with a paper towel. This will help absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with the sea salt.
I chopped my spinach a bit because the leaves were big. Prep the rest of the salad while the butternut squash is cooking.
Finally, combine everything! For this, I like to keep everything in its own section and allow people to mix it up on their own.
Add a simple balsamic dressing: 2 T extra virgin olive oil, 2 T balsamic vinegar, 1 small garlic clove, pinch of salt.
- 7 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/8 cup hemp seeds
- 8 oz. Halloumi cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 4 T. olive oil
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- Saute the butternut squash in 2 T. olive oil until golden brown. When done cooking, place on plate lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Fry the Halloumi by placing the slices in a pan over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes and then flip when golden brown to fry the other side.
- In individual bowls, or one large bowl, add the spinach, hemp seeds, pine nuts, avocado, butternut squash and top with the slices of Halloumi.
- Mix together 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, 2T. balsamic, 1 small garlic clove and a pinch of salt to dress the salad.
- Makes 2 large servings.
- I allow everyone to toss their own salad.
Enjoy this dream bowl of goodies!! Perfect for a lunch or dinner! xo